Thursday, May 21, 2009

You Are Not Forgotten

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots...

-Thomas Jefferson, 1787


More than 1.3 million Americans have fought and died on behalf of our country during the past 233 years. Except for Afghanistan and Iraq, those wars have receded into the pages of history books. But our country was not built on history books. It was built on the backs of men and women who believed in the fundamental principles of freedom – principles for which they were willing to put their lives on the line.



I recently had the opportunity to visit Arlington National Cemetery while TDY to Washington D.C. Buried there are more than 300,000 Americans who gave their lives defending the freedom of others. It is just one of many cemeteries around the world where we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

On Memorial Day, we owe these people more than a day off of work, a backyard barbecue, or a day at the water park. I plan to stop wherever I am and whatever I am doing on Memorial Day at 3 p.m. for the National Moment of Remembrance. I hope you will too. Take a moment to reflect on the sacrifices made and the lives lost in the name of freedom.

Our history is full of stories of ordinary people who displayed extraordinary heroism. No doubt our future holds more amazing stories of heartache and heroism. Some of those stories are playing out now in current conflicts around the world. These are stories that bind us together, as one, under the Stars and Stripes of the United States of America. They’re the stories of real people whose loved ones suffered and mourned. Let us never forget to honor them all.

3 comments:

Nick said...

In one of the buildings in Ft. Benning you can walk down this hall and read different stores of these guys who have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. usually the stories were about privates or some young guy who did these amazing acts that you couldn't help but be amazed with! simply amazing. I would read them every time I was in the building. just impressive guys out there!! Can't help but be grateful for them.

Spencer said...

I had the opportunity to go to the Missouri State Veterans Cemetery yesterday. I arrived at 2:50 and just walked around and read some of the head stones. After a moment, a partially blind old woman came up to me and asked me to help her find her husbands gravestone so she could put flowers on it. After a few minutes we were able to locate it, then she told me stories of what he did in the Navy during WWII. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor and did many amazing things. I was very grateful, she noticed I had my camera and asked me to take pictures and mail them to her, so I did. I'll have to make a post about it. It was a great experience.

Nick said...

that is pretty awesome! a guy that has some amazing WWII stories is brother diffy in the Phenix City ward. he had one story where he jumped out of a plane and was sitting behind a huge bail of hey in Belgium waiting for the mortars to stop. Just sitting there waiting as they landed however many feet from him. Some amazing folks out there!!